When the park was opened, a four-tier fountain
stood at the foot of the Broadwalk below the Paxton
Pavilions. This was later replaced with a flower bed.
In 1960 the Crimean War Memorial was moved from Moorhead to
The Botanical Gardens.
The Crimean War was fought between 1854 and 1856. Britain, France,
Germany and Sardinia fought against Russia. This war is famous for the
Charge of the Light Brigade led by Lord Cardigan. Florence Nightingale,
known as ‘The Lady of the Lamp’, helped the injured soldiers in Turkey by
organising a team of nurses and improving hospital conditions.
The people of Sheffield presented Florence Nightingale with a canteen of Sheffield cutlery to thank her for helping their soldiers.
In 2004 the War Memorial was placed in storage and a fountain replaced it,
similar to the one that stood there when the park opened in 1836.